Contact No. for Head Office (+592) 226-6490
MANAGER, FINANCE DIVISION
I. Position Information
Job Title: Manager, Finance
Direct Supervisor: Commissioner/CEO
Location: Guyana Lands & Surveys Commission Head Office
The Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission (GLSC) was created in June, 2001 through an Act of Parliament to administer land, to maintain a land register and cadastral records, to optimize land use, to maintain a land information system and to provide surveying and Geographic Information System services for the country.
The Finance Division manages the accounts of the Commission and is responsible for management of the organization’s cash flow ensuring value for money and accountability.
III. Organizational Context
Under the oversight of the Commissioner/CEO, the Manager, Finance, provides effective and efficient management of the Commission’s finances. She/he manages the workflow of the Finance Division of the Commission as well as financial relationships with external stakeholders. The Manager provides direct guidance and advice to the CEO and staff on strategic financial policy issues, as well as the general financial operation of the Commission.
The Manager is a high energy professional who demonstrates high levels of leadership within the Finance Division and manages the Commission’s financial information strategically and confidentially relative to other staff of the Commission, other Governmental Agencies/Institutions and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
IV. Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Provides effective and efficient strategic leadership over the Finance Division focusing on achievement of the following results:
· The Manager works closely with the CEO and with team members of the Finance Division and all Divisional Managers for effective and efficient functioning of the Commission’s financial operations.
· S/he works in close collaboration with relevant staff of the Commission both at head office, and in the ten (10) Sub Offices.
· Maintain, develop and manage accounting policies and procedures to ensure that the Commission’s financial records are in accordance with applicable accounting standards, laws, rules and regulations.
· Maintain the Commission’s financial records in a computerized accounting environment.
· Ensure that a set of financial statements, with supporting schedules, reports etc. are prepared and available for statutory audits at the close of each financial year.
· Manage the Commission’s cash flow to ensure that expenditure is aligned to budget estimates.
· Prepare and submit monthly and annual financial and management accounts, budget and cash forecasts to the Commissioner the Board and the Ministry of Finance.
· Efficiently manage the payroll function of the Commission
· Efficiently manage the resources of the Commission to ensure efficiency and productivity in a timely manner.
· Performing other work – related duties that may be assigned by the Commissioner/CEO.
· Leads on the preparation of Budgets for the Commission’s Secretariat
2. Ensures provision of effective financial policies around the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Proposes and leads the implementation of financial policies to eliminate operational bottlenecks to improve information flow between and among Divisions.
· Monitors and evaluates the efficiency of financial operations around the Commission and with external stakeholders.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Ensures staff of the Finance Division and relevant regional staff are trained and motivated to achieve success in their fields of work.
Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
· Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities
· Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple needs
· Strong ability to manage information and workflow
· Shows sensitivity in handling and storing confidential information
· Shows detailed knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the Commission
· Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of main office software applications relating to Microsoft Office Suite or other software as required (SAGE/Quickbooks etc.)
· Shows strong communication (oral and written) and analytical skills.
· Ability to undertake creative planning and design tasks and constructive thinking in a problem solving situation where complex issues are involved.
· Ability to effectively address conflicts that may arise.
VI. ANALYTICAL AND LOGICAL COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to tackle highly complex issues by creating new methods to define and solve problems
Should be able to provide clear rationales for policy advice
Ability to draft briefings for CEO, including responses to enquiries
Oral fluency and persuasiveness
· Written communication to produce comprehensive documents.
VII. CORPORATE COMPETENCIES:
· Integrity/Commitment to mandate
· Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning
· Working in teams
· Communicating information and ideas
· Conflict and self-management
Working with people
· Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
Personal Leadership and Effectiveness
· Analytical and strategic thinking
· Results orientation/Commitment to excellence
· Appropriate and transparent decision making
· Confidentiality and utmost integrity.
VIII. Recruitment Qualifications
· Master’s Degree in Finance or Accounting with 2 years post qualification managerial experience.
· FCCA Certification with 2 years post qualification managerial experience.
· CPA Certification with 2 years post qualification managerial experience.
· ACCA Certification with 4 years relevant post qualification managerial experience.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting with 7 years relevant post qualification managerial experience.
· Competence in MS software and experience in accounting software
· 3 to 7 years of relevant management experience in the public or private sector is required
· Strong Experience in the usage of Accounting software packages (SAGE, Quickbooks etc.)
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web based management systems especiall accpac accounting software will be an asset.
· A strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English