: 01/Nov/2018, 6:59:00 PM
: Non-staff opportunities
The post will be located in Guyana at the GLSC – Project Implementation Unit for the SLDM Project.
The Communications Specialist reports to the Chief Technical Advisor for the SLDM project and receives guidance from the Project Coordinator. He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision and guidance received supports the incumbent in his/her day-to-day work.
FAO is recruiting a Communications Specialist (CS), who will be responsible for planning and facilitating education & outreach programmes of the project. This will include, preparing communication materials for various media using radio, television, social media, newspapers; for events (training, workshops and conferences), the public; for meetings and stakeholder consultations, and to increase the visibility of the project’s deliverables, including public awareness raising activities. He/she will ensure the timely and appropriate generation, dissemination and sharing of information to stakeholders on the project’s implementation ensuring effective stakeholders’ participation and support, and support planning of events. He/she will also manage media association activities and organise excursions to field demonstration projects, and other pertinent visits to project sites
Tasks and responsibilities
The CS is required to develop and implement a communications and visibility plan and strategy for the project that will focus on :
- Disseminate information on land management and development to improve land uses, land planning and management practices by leaseholders.
- Design and disseminate messages with information that will address legal questions and updates on area regularization and other issues affecting communities on public lands.
- Create and share messages aimed at improving coordination and facilitation of land information to leaseholders.
- Prepare and share messages on land tenure security on public lands for residents without land titles by addressing land questions and conflicts and communicating matters to the Commission for support in their resolution.
- Design and disseminate messages that will increase knowledge of legal rights and tenure jurisdiction among other land agencies and the public.
- Prepare and share information that will increase knowledge among land and natural resources agencies of GLSC Act1999, national land policy, and the operational procedures that reduce issues of conflicts and overlapping legislation.
- Facilitate the creation and dissemination of messages aimed at reducing land use conflicts and disputes due to the increase of knowledge of agencies’ functions and mechanisms to resolve conflicts and disputes within state entities.
- Establish indicators of achievement to monitor and disseminate information and prepare feedback, analysis and evaluate progress, to assess and document impacts and effectiveness of implementation of activities and their dissemination for awareness of clients through the communication and visibility plan.
- Prepare written records of activities and reports to track work activities of consultants, and to inform decision-making, and identify and address required follow up actions by GLSC and other stakeholders.
- Support pre/ post evaluations of project activities, and prepare reports of assessments of training, workshops and conferences
- Support the finalisation of all reports with professional editing from the project (technical consultant reports, M&E reports, progress reports, etc)
- Support the preparation and publications of reports and storylines for the project for events, and for the media, and awareness of project outputs for public dissemination
- Maintain a log of work undertaken
- Undertake public reviews of the project’s activities and prepare feedback reports from the public
- Utilise, and creates the various media and communication aid to sensitive agencies and the public of the project outputs and activities reporting on past, present and future activities
- Prepare a comprehensive media strategy and implemented same in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of the project within national priorities
- Develop and maintain a database and relationships with media
- Draft and finalize media related documents, media brief, annual reports, quarterly reports and budgets
- Conduct press conferences and similar for presentations of the project outputs
- Provide clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries; issuance of statements and articles on the project
- Support inscription for tagging all project communication and ensures visibility of all communication prepared and published by the Project with logo (s), project name and any of requirements in keeping with UNFAO and UN rules and regulations
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in communications with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in experience in communications management with a reputable public or private institution/firm.
- OR an Advanced university degree in Communications and five (5) years of relevant experience in communications management, preparation and implementation of communication strategies, programmes and work plans.
- Working knowledge of English
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven work experience in the communication position with examples of products prepared and implemented in programmes and projects
- Proven work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Relevant and proven experience in programme/project management.
- Relevant and proven experience in using media for communication of various topical issues on land and related to public administration.
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO would be considered an asset.
- Proven experience in preparing press releases, conference reports and documents for events.
- Proven experience in organising public events to enhance outreach and community consultations/ workshops/ conferences
- Proven experience in facilitating and conducting public information campaigns and events.
- Proven experience in preparing information and banners on technical workshops, consultation fora and meetings and on-the-job training.
- Proven experience in the preparation of promotional posters, press briefings, storylines, and related public awareness aids such as leaflets, brochures, and newsletters among others.
- Proven experience in Web site maintenance and management.
- Proven experience in the preparation of display panels on strategic events in key locations to increase information dissemination and plaques for new infrastructure.
- Experience in the preparation of project logos.
- Proven experience in the preparation of audio-visual materials, learning kits, standard operating procedures, manuals and guidelines