Land use planning creates the conditions required to achieve types of land use which are sustainable, socially desirable and environmentally compatible.
Goals of Land Use Planning:
To improve the livelihood of all residents of the planning area by:
- Fostering income generation by optimal allocation and development of physical resources.
- Providing wider employment opportunities for the Region’s population.
- To ensure that traditional communities are not adversely affected by development.
Objectives of Land Use Planning
- To establish priorities in regard to land use and infrastructure development.
- To develop extra-regional linkages that would strengthen the Region’s competitive position.
- To enable GLSC to define policies and plans with specific relation to:
- The identification of new lands for development.
- The allocation of unclaimed lands for development.
- The creation of a framework to enable land use change.
- The promotion of infrastructure development.
- Capacity building within GLSC through the development of a methodology for land use planning for use in the rest of Guyana.
- The initiation of a wider review of the national framework for development planning and control.
- The identification of which agencies are responsible for which aspects and how they work together to provide efficient land management.
BENEFITS OF LAND USE PLANNING
- It resolves land use conflicts.
- It provides for effective and efficient utilization of existing resources.
- It opens new areas for development in sustainable manner.
LAND USE PLANS COMPLETED
- Region 6 East Berbice
- Region 9 Rupununi Sub-Region 1
- Linden-Lethem Road Corridor
- Soesdyke– Linden Highway